Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 - Year In Review Part 3


2010 saw the biggest disruption to European air travel since World War 2 when the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajökull erupted in April. Thousands of flights to and from Europe were cancelled as plane manufacturer's advised against flying through the ash for fear of damaging the engines.

The disruption lasted for much of the second half of April (albeit intermittently through parts of Europe) as well as two or three occasions in May.


I remember first seeing the story on Sky News before I left the house for work and thinking "my god, I'd hate to be working in the airport today". Little did I know that the knock on to my job would make the following 2 weeks feel like hell!

Will 2011 see another eruption from Eyjafjallajökull or will we see the other volcano Katla kick off? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment