Wednesday, June 16, 2010

In Toronto

After three weeks at home, we are on the road again. My trip to Toronto took me to Houston, where I had a daylong visit with Gabe. I then went to the airport with him as he was going to work and flew to Flint, via Cleveland, for a few days visit with my mom. She is doing very well
On Monday I flew to Toronto, again via Cleveland. This was another case of getting to the airport at 6:00AM in order to try to get on a flight that was listed as full. This turns out to be a good strategy when flying standby. It gives me the best chance of getting on a flight.

Ellen flew here directly from Vancouver, but coordinating 9 people in the company is as much effort as my taking five flights to get here. We are staying in the same hotel that the G20 leaders will be staying next week, but there is little evidence of the billion dollars in security that will come with them. It does seem that one billion is the standard cost for security for any major event these days. I guess the olympics gave the security forces a benchmark that they must live up to.

Yesterday we went to a reception at the Goethe Institut, one of the sponsors of the tour. Their purpose is to promote German culture and the play is produced by Rimini Protokoll, a German organization. Sushi was served.

Tonight is opening night, and Ellen had a rehearsal and technical check this afternoon. Since Bob is in the cast for the run in Toronto, the show reverts to the script used in Vancouver and Seattle. They will be doing this with only this afternoon's rehearsal. Helgard, the producer,insisted that they are professionals now and she is confident that they will handle it in stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment