Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Strictly - Week 9 Catch Up!


Courtesy of the lovely people over at digitalspy.co.uk, here's what happened over at Camp Strictly this week....

Kara Tointon and Artem Chigvintsev - Jive

Len: (9) First out... first class! It was a top-drawer jive, you steamed up my glasses, you came out full on. It was a little bit hesistant here and there, there were maybe a few steps you didn't feel all that confident about and you didn't really attack. But overall, a really good start to the show. Well done."
Alesha: (9) "I think you two are on a journey, and that dance was once again one with lots of content. There was a really cutesy feel about the whole thing. To be a little bit picky, you were looking down a lot and you lost your timing. But it was full of personality, the kicks and flicks were great and once again, Kara, you lit up the room and I loved it."
Bruno: (9) "You jiving peanut, I feel all frisky, I love the way you put sex appeal into it. Maybe because of that you sometimes lost a bit of your sharpness, sometimes you need a little bit more attack. But again, a great performance."
Craig: (7) "You danced very neatly and very specifically, and the attention to detail was once again very precise. However, the whole side-by-side section I felt like you lost synchronicity and timing throughout. I don't know what happened at the end, were you supposed to finish in that split thing? Your recovery was terrible."

Total: 34/40

Ann Widdecombe and Anton Du Beke - Rumba
Alesha: (5) "Kate Winslet, eat your heart out, I would say - my favourite storyline of the series so far, and actually I could see a genuine love between you which was wonderful. Although there wasn't much content, well done for remembering the steps. I enjoyed it."
Bruno: (3) "The Ark Royal follows the Titanic and SINKS the rumba into the deepest and darkest depth of dance, darling."
Craig: (1) "Fractured, passionless. And in fact, that iceberg showed more emotion. There was not an ounce of spirit or emotion. It was bad dancing, I'm sorry."
Len: (5) "I'm a bit like a James Bond martini, I'm shaken not stirred. I've got to be honest, you did a hand-to-hand. Admitedly, they were off time and you had the wrong footwork. But it was the daftest dance I've ever seen. I laughed from the minute it started to the last."

Total: 14/40


Patsy Kensit and Robin Windsor - Argentine tango
Bruno: (7) "Patsy, the good thing, you really started to focus and place your legs this week. You were on it, you were extending your leg, you were pointing your feat - but it lacked spunk! When you do this dance, you have to go for it. It's a like a man and a woman, I give it to you. I felt you didn't enjoy it because maybe you were trying to get the technique right. I didn't get that fleshy, passionate feel."
Craig: (7) "He's right, it did lack flair and it did lack attack and I would like to have seen more extreme line, also you lacked any swivel on the footpass. But, it did have an intent and it did have a purpose - the main consideration, I think you did very well.
Len: (8) "I liked it, I thought you captured the mood of the dance. Now hopefully you'll be back next week. What I would like to say to you is, you won't win Strictly Come Dancing being careful. You've got to come out with more intent, you've got to practice a bit harder because I don't want you to slip away from the 'Fab Four' that's at the top there, and you will get through if you really work. Sell it - go down in flames rather than going down safe."
Alesha: (8) "I actually thought you held the intensity all of the way through. You didn't take your eyes off Robin once. You pulled me in and you maintained your character, your legs looked stunning, beautifully pointed toes, nice composure and I loved it."

Total: 30/40


Scott Maslen and Natalie Lowe - American smooth
Craig: (6) "What a terrible, terrible shame, and it all began with terrible footwork over there in the corner. It completely collided. There is some good, however, I loved the lift - I thought that was beautiful, as difficult as it was. But it was a complete disaster really."
Len: (7) "It wasn't a complete disaster, that's untrue because you are actually a class act. You didn't do yourself justice tonight, you were doing a three-step over there. See, people don't realise on the foxtrot there are steps where you have to be at the side of your girl, then you have to get in line with your partner. And it was just over there and I thought that threw you off. So I'm saying to you, you're a really good dancer. You've had a little incident, don't let it affect you, come back stronger."
Alesha: (9) "I really felt for you Scott, I've made those mistakes. What I loved about you was that you just carried on, some people would just give up and crumble but you didn't. It was still a classic American smooth, I still enjoyed it, you still look like a pro out there, babe - very, very good."
Bruno: (9) "Scott, don't worry, you're still smoother than anyone else. The fact is, what you did was very, very difficult - I don't care, you made a mistake. But some parts of it were excellent. You have great musicality, you have great musical phrasing in a way very few people do, let alone somebody who has never danced before. So don't beat yourself down about it - it was still very, very good, my darling."

Total: 31/40


Gavin Henson and Katya Virshilas - Jive
Len: (6) "When you hate doing something, you can't come out and really perform. You just want to get it over with and you know, you hated it, I hated it, we all hated it. You came out and gave it a go, Gavin. And good on you."
Alesha: (7) "Gavin, you look so funny but you look so cute. There were timing issues throughout and the opening section was very ambitious, but you were really trying and that's admirable. I just want to give you a big hug."
Bruno: (6) "Why are you not giving it to me? It was like Clark Kent not quite turning into Superman. Most of it was off-time. It was cute, and you look good in tight pants, but unleash the Superman, Gavin. Come back and show it to us."
Craig: (3) "That bottom-wiggle was completely unnecessary, and smacks of desperation, and I think you're giving Ann Widdecombe a run for your money."

Total: 22/40


Matt Baker and Aliona Vilani - American smooth
Alesha: (8) "You're a very good dancer and probably one of the strongest in the competition, Matt, but I'm sorry to say I was a little bit disappointed tonight, just slightly. Do you know what it is? I didn't feel relaxed. You carry a lot of tension in your face, your smile seemed forced, I didn't like the turns. Not taking anything away from your talent, I just didn't feel it tonight."
Bruno: (9) "What I like about you, you put so much into what you do, total commitment. I can see how hard you work. But you go from being beautiful to American psycho. It spoils it a little bit, you really have to control the way you use your talent because you're a great dancer.
Craig: (8) "I thought the opening sequence was absolutely fantastic, as were all the lifts. I did think however you were trying a little too hard through the free expression moments, you need to release a little bit through your back and you should actually use the legato at the same time in the music as your body."
Len: (8) "It obviously hasn't worked as a dance, and normally you're really good - tonight you were nearly good."

Total: 33/40


Pamela Stephenson and James Jordan - Charleston
Bruno: (9) "It was like a witty play, and it's gonna get a BAFTA from me!
Craig: (9) "Risky, perilous, danced without any fear. I loved it."
Len: (10) "Well, I've gotta say, that tickled my fancy. You enjoyed doing it, I enjoyed watching it."
Alesha:(10) "It was the best dance of the night."

Total: 38/40


As you can see, it was an eventful night on Saturday with Pamela & James scoring highly to stay top and Ann & Anton holding up the bottom of the table. But after factoring in the public votes, it was Patsy & Robin that left the dancefloor which is a shame as she was showing real improvements.

At the risk of being unpopular, I do now believe that it's time for Widders to go - it was great fun for the first couple of weeks but talented dancers are now leaving the show so that she can survive from week to week. Will the public finally put her out of her misery? Find out on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment